As you and your family are participating in Park Hop this summer check out these useful safety tips for keeping your child safe in the parks. Playgrounds and outdoor play are a major source in the fight against childhood obesity and promote health and wellness. Playground safety can be a major concern when preventing childhood injuries. Below are some quick tips to keeping your child safe on park playgrounds.
- Check the surfacing material beneath the equipment to ensure it is acceptable. Unacceptable surfaces include concrete, asphalt, grass, and packed earth.
- Check the temperature of equipment surfaces. During hot summer months hot playground equipment can burn.
- Be observant of the conditions of the playground.
- Supervision and proper clothing can reduce risk.
- Ensure the equipment is age-appropriate.
Don’t forget that the temperatures rise during the summer. It is important to stay hydrated and not overheat when playing outside this summer. Make sure to bring plenty of water with you on your visit to the park. And don’t forget the sunscreen. Childhood sunburns not only cause pain and discomfort, but also greatly increase your child’s risk of developing skin cancer as an adult.