Need a snack idea for St. Patty’s day? Instead of sending your kiddos to school with sugary, artificially colored treats, make these healthy green muffins! We’ve been snacking on these all day at the LiveWell Greenville office, and trust us: you can’t even tell there’s an entire bag of spinach in the recipe.
LiveWell’s own Brady Godfrey was featured on Your Carolina to demonstrate making these healthy St. Patty’s Day treats! Click here to see Brady in action: http://wspa.com/2017/03/16/healthy-st-pattys-day-treats/.
Green Muffins Recipe (Makes 12)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, white whole wheat flour or spelt flour (or use 2 cups of King Arthur Multi-purpose Gluten-free Flour + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup (Grade A or Grade B)
- ¾ cup dairy or non-dairy milk (such as almond milk)
- ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 5- or 6-ounce bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with unbleached parchment liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a blender add egg, maple syrup, milk, oil, vanilla and spinach. Process until pureed.
- Add spinach mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the mashed banana.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin, filling cups about ¾ full. I like to do this with a large ice cream scooper. Bake about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature up to 3 days. These freeze nicely!